Eagles Send Longtime Fixture Packing in Surprise Offseason Decision

Fans celebrate the Philadelphia Eagles Super Bowl Championship with a parade along Benjamin Franklin Parkway set to end at the Philadelphia Museum of Art on Friday, Feb. 14, 2025.
Fans celebrate the Philadelphia Eagles Super Bowl Championship with a parade along Benjamin Franklin Parkway set to end at the Philadelphia Museum of Art on Friday, Feb. 14, 2025. | Benjamin Chambers/Delaware News Journal / USA TODAY NETWORK via Imagn Images

The Philadelphia Eagles have had plenty of changes on the way to winning the second Super Bowl in franchise history. Doug Pederson was replaced by Nick Sirianni. Carson Wentz’s job was taken by Jalen Hurts. Alshon Jeffrey and Zach Ertz transitioned out for A.J. Brown and Dallas Goedert while countless members of the coaching staff have come and gone.

A lot has changed over the past seven years and it continued when Milton Williams, Josh Sweat and Mekhi Becton left in free agency. But while the departures for three of the Eagles’ biggest free agents weren’t a surprise, Philadelphia made one shocking decision this offseason that will make going to a game at Lincoln Financial Field feel a little different next season.

Eagles Moving on From Iconic Pep Band After 28 Years

The Eagles announced earlier this week that they are letting go of their pep band ahead of the 2025 season. The band played at Eagles games for 28 years and played the team's anthem “Fly, Eagles, Fly” at games but the team has decided to move on as they look to evolve their gameday experience.

“The decision was made based on the Eagles’ ongoing effort to evolve their operation and implement new elements into the gameday experience,” the team said in a statement issued to FOX 29 in Philadelphia. “They are grateful for all the contributions the pep band has made over the past 28 years.”

The Eagles also told ABC 6 in Philadelphia that there are “no hard feelings” in the split with Bobby Mansure, saxophone player Brian Saunders, guitar and banjo player Anthony DiMeo ,and bass player Bruce Mulford, who have put their own take on the Eagles’ fight song which was written in the 1950s.

Of course, that doesn’t smooth things over from Eagles fans who were upset by the news, calling it “a huge mistake” and a “terrible decision.”

Either way, it’s a sign that things have changed for the Eagles and will lead to a different aspect on gamedays next season.

More Philadelphia Eagles News & Rumors: