Earlier this afternoon, our own Somers Price passed along a report from ESPN Los Angeles’ Mark Saxson, in which he said that a source had told him that the Dodgers could make a run for Jonathan Papelbon prior to the trade-deadline. Apparently that was too good to be true.
I have subsequently been told the #Dodgers are not interested in Papelbon
— Mark Saxon (@markasaxon) July 17, 2014
Wow. The Dodgers were kind of a match made in Heaven for Papelbon. They certainly have the money to absorb more of his $13 million 2015 salary than most other trade partners would have. They don’t really need to upgrade their closer spot, but acquiring Papelbon would have allowed the Dodgers to make Kenley Jansen, their current closer, a set-up man, a spot where the really do need help. If the Dodgers aren’t interested in Papelbon, it’s tough to imagine he has much of a market at all.
All that said, if Saxson had a source tell him the Dodgers might be interested in Papelbon within the past 24 hours, I’m not sure this tweet should carry that much more weight than the other one. It’s just as possible that the source saying they don’t have interest is trying to downplay the Dodgers actually interest to keep Papelbon’s value down, as that he is telling the truth. All I’m saying is that I wouldn’t close the book on this trade potentially happening.