With a 1-8 roadtrip to come out of the All-Star break, the Phillies all-but mathematically eliminated eliminated themselves from the playoff hunt. But don’t let that fool you, there is still a ton of buzz around this team.
Yesterday Jimmy Rollins told reporters that he wouldn’t waive his no-trade clause because he was focused on breaking numerous team records that he was closing in on. Rollins’ comments may have been killed more in Philly today, had Jonathan Papelbon not made comments to make you think that he was set to become a distraction. This morning I got the opinions on Papelbon’s trade value from Chris Cotillo of SB Nation and Buster Olney of ESPN.
This afternoon Jayson Stark did a piece that gauged the trade value of Rollins, Papelbon, and pretty much anyone else on the Phillies who has been discussed trade wise.
- Carlos Ruiz-Stark isn’t sure why, but the Phillies don’t seem to be aggressively trying to trade Carlos Ruiz. Stark says that the Phillies don’t seem willing to give Ruiz a longterm deal, and considering that he still hasn’t hit a homerun this year and his average has dropped almost 80 points from this time last year, that makes sense. Still, Erik Kratz isn’t a starting catcher in the MLB, and it doesn’t sound like Tommy Joseph is going to be ready to be an MLB player to start 2014. It all sounds like the Phillies may try to bring Ruiz back for one more season in 2014 for a few million.
- Michael Young-Stark says that Michael Young is the most likely Phillie to be dealt prior to the deadline. However, with interest from the Red Sox and Dodgers not as high as once thought, Stark believes that Young may end up being an August waiver-wire deal.
- Jonathan Papelbon-As have been saying, Papelbon’s value is dead with his recent comments. Stark agrees with that. As I also continue to say, I love Papelbon, but it is time to get him out of Philly before this situation gets really ugly.
- Cliff Lee-Starks says that the Phillies are certainly listening to offers, but they need to be “overwhelmed” to trade Lee. He also says that with the expectation the whoever trades for Lee will give the Phillies a boatload of prospects and take on Lee’s monster contract, makes a trade unlikely. Fox’s Jon Paul Morosi says that the Red Sox are “engaged” in talks with the Phillies for Lee. It’s still hard for me to see anything getting done with what Amaro expects to get in return from whoever trades for Lee while expecting them to take on Lee’s deal. We’ll see though.
- Jimmy Rollins- Stark mentions that the Phillies have called around to gauge interest in Jimmy Rollins. While Rollins has already said that he won’t agree to any trade, Starks says that their isn’t a ton of interest in Rollins anyway.
Note: Stark didn’t even mention Chase Utley in his piece, and it is sounding more and more likely that the Phillies will try to re-sign Utley rather than trading him.
Tags: Carlos Ruiz Trade Rumors Chase Utley Extension Chase Utley Trade Rumors Cliff Lee Red Sox Cliff Lee Trade Cliff Lee Trade Rumors Jake Peavy Red Sox Jonathan Papelbon Trade Rumors Phillies Trade Rumors