Today is the day before the MLB’s non-waiver trade deadline, and since the Phillies have an off day, Ruben Amaro Jr. figures to be looking to make some moves before tomorrow. Here’s a roundup of the latest rumors regarding the Phillies’ intentions at the trade deadline:
- The Baltimore Orioles are RHP Joe Blanton’s most interested suitor, reports Britt Ghiroli of MLB.com.
- According to ESPN MLB insider Buster Olney, LHP Cliff Lee is “in play” in trade talks, with the Rangers as the “obvious” frontrunners
- A package for Lee would be centered around Rangers 3B prospect Mike Olt, Olney also says
- Other potential players coming back to Philadelphia could include pitching prospect Martin Perez and outfield prospect Leonys Martin. A deal for the Rangers’ prized SS prospect Jurickson Profar seems very unlikely
- The Phillies may have to eat some of the $95M Lee is still owed in order to get the best possible return for him
- The Giants and Phillies are discussing a deal for RF Hunter Pence, Jon Heyman reports.
- The Giants could also be in on Shane Victorino if the Phillies’ asking price goes down.
- The Phillies could make a trade for Padres 3B Chase Headley or Indians OF Shin-Soo Choo, FOX Sports says.
- The Reds have interest in Juan Pierre and think he’d be “a perfect fit for their playoff run”, according to Bob Nightengale of USA Today
- The Orioles have interest in Pence, Shane Victorino, and Pierre
- The Dodgers, Giants, and Reds are the top three suitors for Shane Victorino, with the Pirates a distant 4th.
It’s clear that the Phillies are officially sellers, and they’re looking to deal salary this season but still contend next season. Trading Hunter Pence, Cliff Lee, and Shane Victorino would shed salary this season and allow them to spend money in free agency next season, as well as replenishing the farm system with young, talented prospects. The rumors about their interest in Chase Headley and Shin-Soo Choo suggests that they are looking to contend in 2013, and Headley and Choo would help them do that. It makes sense: the Phillies are looking for bats at future positions of need (OF, 3B) that are under team control for the future. Trading an outfielder (or two or three) would also clear a spot for Domonic Brown to get regular playing time to see if they can move forward with him as a starting corner outfielder in 2013 and beyond.
Tags: Baltimore Orioles Cliff Lee Hunter Pence Joe Blanton Juan Pierre Leonys Martin Martin Perez Mike Olt MLB MLB Trade Deadline Philadelphia Phillies Ruben Amaro Jr Rumors San Francisco Giants Shane Victorino Texas Rangers Trades